What is BEE Star Rating?
You must have noticed an energy label or a sticker on electrical or electronic appliances in India. This label shows a BEE star rating. Most buyers don’t pay much attention to it as they are more interested in exploring the features and functions of an appliance. However, this rating is directly linked to your electricity bill, and you must be familiar with it.
Let’s understand more about this rating.
Meaning of BEE Star Rating
BEE rating is a five-point system that indicates the energy efficiency of an appliance. This rating is shown through stars on a scale of 1 to 5. The higher the rating or number of stars, the more energy efficient the appliance is.
You can trust this rating as it is issued and enforced by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency, an agency under the Indian Ministry of Power. The agency has made this rating mandatory for 15 appliances and voluntary for 20 appliances for 2023. However, the agency may include or exclude appliances from the list as it deems necessary from time to time.
Appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, and air conditioners which consume more energy have a big label. Computers, ceiling fans, and tube lights which consume less energy, have a small label.
Benefits of BEE Star Rating
The purpose of this rating is to help you make an informed choice while buying the appliance. It ensures that appliance manufacturers don’t deceive you by displaying inaccurate facts.
When you know how much energy the appliance will consume, you can tentatively calculate the electricity bill amount or cost savings for that purchase. For example, a refrigerator with a 1-star rating will consume more electricity than the one with a 4 or 5-star rating.
Energy-efficient appliances also reduce the carbon footprint and are better for our environment.
Determination of BEE Star Rating
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has set various norms, standards, and prerequisites that manufacturers need to adhere to get a BEE rating certificate. These parameters vary from one appliance to another or across sub-categories. The ratings are updated every year, depending on the change in technology or energy usage patterns.
The manufacturing brand sends its appliance for testing in a lab accredited by National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL). NABL tests the appliance for a few days to measure its power consumption and energy efficiency. The BEE issues the rating based on the test results.
Comprehending the BEE Star Rating Label
The power-saving guide sticker on an appliance displays useful information such as:
- Energy efficiency rating
- Label period
- Appliance type
- Manufacturing year
Factors to Consider While Looking at BEE Star Label
- Label Period:- Let’s say, you are buying an air-conditioner today. It has a 4-star rating but the label period is from 1st January 2021 to 31st December 2022. This means that the rating has expired and it may not indicate the correct rating. The rating may have been downgraded or upgraded since then. So, make sure to buy an appliance that also has a valid label period apart from a good rating.
- Features and Technology:- Some appliances may have lower ratings. However, their electricity consumption may be more due to their high-end technology or state-of-the-art features. Hence, you may want to compromise with the rating if other attributes of the appliance suit your preferences.
- Budget:- An appliance with a high energy rating is likely to be expensive, while that with a low rating is more affordable. It is advisable to strike a balance between the rating and your budget after considering electricity costs.
- Usage Frequency:- If you are planning to use the appliance for seasonal use or only a few times a year or at suboptimal capacity, you can opt for lower energy efficiency.
- Sub-Category Ratings:- A frost-free refrigerator’s rating standards would be different from a direct cool refrigerator. Their volume capacity, model year, and other features also determine the rating. When you compare the rating, you should do it category-wise.
The BEE star rating is a crucial consideration in buying electrical or electronic appliances to minimise your electricity expenses. However, it is also recommended to look at the overall functionality and benefits of the appliance to make the right choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) :
Q1. What is the BEE Star Rating?
BEE Star Rating is a five-point system to specify the energy efficiency of an appliance. This rating is issued by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) under the Indian Ministry of Power. This rating is indicated through stars on a scale of 1 to 5. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the appliance is.
Q2. Is BEE rating mandatory?
BEE agency has made the rating mandatory for 15 appliances and voluntary for 20 appliances for 2023. However, the list of appliances may change at frequent intervals.
Q3. Do BEE star ratings apply to international brands as well?
Any international manufacturer can apply for BEE star ratings.
Q4. Do BEE star ratings change over time?
Yes. They may change every year or at the discretion of the BEE agency.
Q5. Can I trust the accuracy of BEE star ratings?
Yes. The BEE follows strict criteria to issue a BEE certificate to appliance manufacturers. The manufacturing brand has to get its product tested on these criteria in a lab accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL).