Various Types of Switches for Home and Office Use
Switches are important elements in the overall electrical setup in our living and working spaces. Yet, the wide variety of types of switches for homes and offices can often be overlooked when making a buying decision. While modular switches are most commonly used in living spaces, the consumer today has a plethora of switches to select from, based on design, functionality, and form factor. In this blog post, we bring to you the various types of switches for homes and offices which can be considered before you buy your next set of switches.
What are the different types of switches?
There are five main types of switches: single pole, double pole, three-way, four-way, and smart switches. Their functionality and working vary, and each is more suited for certain rooms and applications.
Electrical Switches by Design
- Modular Switches:- Modular switches are the most commonly available and used in residential and commercial spaces. They serve the On-Off purpose and power various electrical and electronic appliances that we use today. They come in a wide range of colors and designs to accentuate and blend with the design of the space. They are also quite cost-effective and most modern modular switches come with in-built safety features.
- Designer Switches:- These switches are specifically designed for bringing out the best in your living space. While they also serve the On-Off purpose, they are unconventional in their look and design. The options here are specific to the brand and purpose of use. You could have modular switches handcrafted from a high-quality material like wood, antique flip switches that bring back memories of the yesteryear, or a sophisticated LCD screen that can be used to manage your appliances.
- Smart Switches:- Smart switches make the best use of technology by using one or more sensors to manage your fixtures and appliances. Their main function is ease of operation, while also giving a futuristic feel to the living space. These smart switches can either use sensors on the module for easy and interactive operations, or use sensors in the living space which enable automatic and hands-free operation.
Smart Light Switches
- Touch Switches:- The main feature of the touch switch is its noiseless operation. The touch switch could be a simple touch panel, which sends feedback to turn the device On and Off alternately. It could also have advanced functions, like an elaborate touch screen module to turn On and Off and control the speed and intensity of appliances with touch, tap and swipe functions.
- Hands-Free Switches:- These types of switches enable hands-free operations of appliances, and based on the sensors used it can either use hand gestures, Wi-Fi remote operation, or voice commands to manage the state of the various electrical appliances in the room.
- Proximity Switches and Motion Activated Switches:- These switches use proximity and/or motion sensors to turn On and Off the lights in the room, and can increase energy efficiency. They are ideal for commercial settings but can also be used for homes.
- Light Activated Switches:- These switches can adjust the light settings automatically, just like the automatic backlight of your smartphone. The intensity or On-Off of the light can be automatically controlled using these switches, without any need for human interaction.
As we have seen, the switches of the yesteryear have evolved into different types of switches for home and office use, with technology and innovation used even in simple function switches. Your decision to buy should be based on your budget, the usage, and the intent of the space where the switches are being installed.
Always be sure to use switches from reputed manufacturers which comply with local safety standards, to ensure compatibility and safe use of switches.